Dear Fellow Exchange Students,
This letter is for anyone thinking about going on exchange anytime in their life. I am on an exchange from Iowa to Bayreuth, Germany. There are so many things I wish I would have been informed about or thought about during and before my year abroad. I have only been in Germany for 3 months but I am quickly figuring out that I was not fully ready for this. It is absolutely what I want but it is not at all what I was thinking it could be. When writing your application make sure to be specific about things that you do not like. Don't sugar coat anything becuase when you are here and there is a problem with something that you knew before you didn't like there is not much you can do. For example, If you don't want to live with smokers or you don't like animals. Make sure you put exactly that in your letter so that you will not get placed with a family that smokes in the house or has animals. Another thing make sure that you think about the countries you choose before you write them down. I am so happy to be in Germany but the language is difficult and I had no prior German before coming. One thing you will notice is that you don't get to choose your family and they won't be like your family at home. Things are going to be different. You will have to give and take. You will get asked weird and sometimes challenging questions. Sometimes you will have an answer and sometimes you won't. Don't pack all of your clothes you wont wear half of them anyway. Make sure to do some studying about your culture so you can really tell people about you life and the way things are done in your town or house. People will laugh at you for example, my first host family made me read the newspaper out loud. It had no German only few courses. So my pronounciation was not the best they sometimes laughed at me but you have to make sure to laugh with them. It is no big problem. Don't always sit in your room. Even if you are only reading a book sit in the kitchen or livingroom around your family. You will also have to invite yourself on things. Not everyone is going to come up to you and ask to hang out every weekend. You have to make the plans and find things to do on your own. Think about the common things too. When I was packing I only thought about the clothes and what I was going to wear. I brought gifts but I totally forgot the bathroom supplies. I didn't have deo, toothpaste, brush, razors, make up, fingernail polish and things like that. Also for the girls think about your girly things too. Ok well this is my advice after 3 months. I am ready for the next 8 months of my exchange. Remember always have an open mind and try everything. Its only one year not a lifetime. Don't put things off just do them.
Much love ,
Your fellow Exchanger Allysa Spear,
Auf Wiedersehen.
HA! and you laughed at me for wanting to take you to the historical museum and state capitol!! bet you wish we would have done more now and that you would have paid more attention! sometimes MOM does know whats best.. LUV U!
ReplyDelete