Day 4 Memorable Moment: Growing up. This is not really a moment but it is something that I have had a lot of time to do this year. I came to a country alone speaking not a word of the language and had to stay with a family that I had never met before, to say the less I was a little more than just scared. Once I realized that my friends and family weren't just an easy phone call away I knew I would have to start figuring things out on my own. I still called them and sent them messages when I got the time or really needed something mostly money but when it came to talking to Rotary people or applying for my Euro tour it was just me, myself, and I. This year I also improved on my knowing what I was spending my money on and how much I would be getting in the month to spend. At first it was a little bit difficult for me but as I realized I was an exchange student and couldn't get a job to have my own income I had to be more careful with my spendings. I do have to say that Skype and Facebook could change my mood in a matter of a few mins for the good or sometimes for the bad. I got to see the people back home but I also got to see all of the things I was missing out on like Homecoming, Prom, Spring games, and all of the get togethers of my friends and family. If I could give any advice to another exchange student it would to not spend time on here when you are feeling homesick. Go out and do something with friends or host family. It will help the homesickness go away faster. This year I have also learned that there are all kinds of differnt people on this earth. Nothing matters about the way they look or where they come from you will have those people you get along great with and others that it just doesn't work so easily but you should always work hard to make the best out of any situation your put into. I have also learned to love Iowa. It is one of the most beautiful places and no matter where I go or for how long it will always be the place where I was born, raised, and foud out who I was. At first when people aked me about Iowa I was so "Oh its just in the middle of the U.S. not much there only corn and agricultural things" but as the year went on I was like you know what I actually miss small town Iowa where you can't go anywhere without seeing a friendly face. The quite country nights just hanging out with friends. It was kind of difficult to get used to being in a city where I knew no one. I think I truly had to go away to see how much I missed my life back in good ol' Iowa! Bis Morgen
Allysa Spear
No comments:
Post a Comment