Herr Wölker is my counselor here in Germany. Me and Jaque had dinner with him and his wife yesterday. They are the cutest little couple I have ever seen. She is American and he of course is German. They only speak english in their house. They both know German but when they first got married they had seen each other in person for an amount of 10 days. Mr. Wölker was an exchange student in the US for a year. He stayed in Pittsburg. This is such an amazing thing to think about in itself. WWII had not even been over for 10 years when Walt came to the US. His father was still fighting among other people. His father told him that he should go out and see that other kids were hungry, needed shelter, and also needed money. I think this will stick with me for a while. Lynn and Walt actually met in Germany. They were on a tour together and something just clicked. After the tour they didn't see each other for a few years. Then Walt was coming back to the US for work. He ended up not having as much time as he thought to go and visit Lynn. He called her and asked if it was worth is to come just for one day.. Well what kind of question is that. Of course she said I want to see you. Well after the day was up Walt had to go to New York for a week to work. Lynn all of the sudden decided that she was going to pack her things and go with. She volunteered at the AFS building. They got married a short time after and on the night of their wedding day were off to Germany. This may sound a bit like a fairytale but it is all real. It was so charming to hear them both talk about their story. For dinner we had American hamburgers which by the way were amazing. We also ate baked potatoes with sour cream and butter. (: We talked about things that were different and things that we had to overcome.
This week I have also been working on my Europa Tour information. It is going good. I had to write a 250 word motivitation speech in German. It was quite the task but luckily my host dad was a great help. As I was writing it I had some new thoughts come into my brain. I wrote about how in both of my German courses I am the only person from the United States of America. So every other student is foriegn to me. In one class most of the students are from Iraq, Iran and one from Afgahnistan. Well to the US many of these places are not seen with the greatest views and I also didn't see them as humans. I saw these people as what was portrayed on TV. Turns out that I am quickly finding out that everyone is HUMAN. We are all the same. These men in my German course are very nice. I talk to them and we have no problems. You can't always believe everything you see and hear. Somethings you have to find out by doing.. This is also a part of what Rotary is trying to do. We can all be different but still get along.
Tonight I watched Matilda with my host sister and host mom. It was so nice. Everyday I feel as if I am becoming more and more a part of the family. My German is coming along. I feel like I am on the top of the plateau. Soon I will peak again. Well that is all for now.
Thanks for reading. I am truly enjoying myself here and soaking in as much information as I can. I hope to share all of my stories and experiences upon my arrival back in the states.
Auf Wiedersehen.
<3 Allsya Spear
Just wow! You are learning so much and are growing way beyond your years!! My wish for you is that you come back and share all the wonders of the human race with everyone here as seen threw your eyes!! I love you and so proud!!
ReplyDelete